If you have your own website where you sell your products… why even consider selling on other platforms?
In this episode we are sharing the pros and cons of selling on marketplace sites like Etsy, Amazon Handmade etc. to help you decide if your business will benefit from selling on these platforms.
~ Jess, Mik & Deb
what we cover in this episode:
- Marketplaces drive traffic to its website and you can take advantage of it. Great place to get started.
- Quick and easy to set up and use. Shipping, reviews, and policies are already set up so it takes less time to get started.
- Great place to test the market.
- Cheaper upfront cost and less financial burden if the marketplace only charges for listing fee.
- It simplifies security so you don’t have to worry about getting hacked or fixing it.
- Many are familiar with Etsy and other big marketplaces and they are trusted to keep payment options secure for both buyers and sellers.
- Customers feel comfortable and safe especially during checkout.
- You do not own the marketplace and you do not have control over it. Marketplaces will change policies and systems you may not like and you can’t do anything about it.
- Customizing your shop is limited.
- Even when there is a lot of traffic in a marketplace you have to do the work to be found on the platform.
- Customers can easily get distracted and buy from other shops.
- You lose branding potential since most buyers will say they bought it at Etsy or at other marketplaces.
- Samples of policies implemented by Etsy that forces sellers to pay more;
- How to decide whether you need to keep selling on marketplaces when they implement new policies that you don’t like;
- Where to drive traffic when you sell in your own website and on marketplaces
- Tips on how to mention that you sell on Etsy or other marketplace in your website without intentionally driving them out of your own website;
- Don’t try to make your business fit the platform. Use the marketplaces to support you and not the other way around;
- What kinds of products to sell on your website and on other marketplaces and why it’s okay to not have the same stuff on both of these venues;
- Why we don’t sell on every marketplace anymore;
- What to look out for before deciding to sell on a new marketplace
- Some ways on how to integrate your Etsy store into your website